- Apex was asked to be a partner on a major renovation to the Space Needle that was originally built in 1962. The $100 million dollar renovation project covered many different aspects of the building from the ground up.
- Apex supplied over 10,000 parts and pieces for the project, starting at the bottom with seismic upgrades to the structure of the Space Needle including the foundation, splices on the 3 main legs, and a reinforced elevator core with steel plate. Apex provided all new support for the glass panels, and reinforcing for all of the trusses on the observation deck. Apex also reinforced all the canoe beams on the restaurant level, and installed a complete new rotating floor including setting all of the equipment.
- A total of approximately 50,000 man hours were worked in 2 shifts, 24hrs a day, seven days a week with 0 time loss incidents
- Apex designed, engineered, fabricated, erected and dismantled the gantry crane positioned on the roof of the structure that was used to lift heavy steel and glass panels and was also used to dismantle the scaffolding.
- Apex built the unique Oculus stairs that are suspended and cantilevered out from the core, showing no visually apparent supporting structure and were designed to appear to float over the glass below.